Sunday, December 03, 2006

We hold on

Snow has fallen, folks, and it stuck to the ground. I'd say two inches. If the sky knew what was good for it, it would send down two hundred feet of snow, as I'd like to try out my first ever pair of winter boots. Having grown up in Florida where we got hurricane days off of school, snow is still something from movies and Dostoevsky novels for me. In Québec corporate grocer speak, snow is, for me, UltraMegaMagicPlusLivraisonGratuit!!! When I lived in Denver and would catch a glimpse of a chance of flurries in the forecast I would put on the jean jacket given to me by my dad, take a lawn chair over to the park across the street from our apartment building, get stoned, listen to Godspeed You! Black Emperor on headphones and wait for the snow to fall (it was a bad place I was in). I'm pretty damned excited about the good possibility of experiencing a white Christmas.

Danica and I went to mass at Ascension of Our Lord Catholic Church this morning. This was our first time. Since it is in Westmount it was filled with rich Anglos, which Danica commented on but I kept to myself because I'm usually very negative concerning churches and their congregants and I'm tired of being that way and if there is anyplace where I could attempt to learn to love even rich people it would be at a church in Westmount. Here is a description:
Ascension of Our Lord parish was formed in 1929 as the English-language outgrowth from St. Leon de Westmount parish. The building style of the church is quite different from the one usually used for catholic churches in Montreal. When it was time to build a new church in Westmount, a wealthy suburb of Montreal, it was decided to mark off by choosing a neo-gothic style of American inspiration. Plans were drawn up by MacInnis & Walsh, a Boston firm. What is unique in this medium-sized church (37,600 sq. ft. or 3 500 m2) is the location of its bell tower: its carillon is located on top of a large square tower built over the transept crossing, and not in front of the church as it is usually the case for all catholic churches. On the aesthetics point of view, it is a specific characteristic of Protestant churches. The inside of the church is very simple and very sober, in the English style. The framework of the nave is visible. The church has interesting stained glass windows and is reminiscent of St. Vincent Ferrier church in New York City.
I mostly just love being at church. It is my favorite place to be. But Danica was made to feel very uncomfortable by a guy who came up to us and asked us if, after the offering was collected, we might walk the bread and the wine up the aisle to the priest. I said yes without a second thought, as this is a great privilege for me. But this was a big mistake because Danica wasn't down with it at all. She told me to let the guy know that he'd have to find someone else. I felt bad saying this, so I asked an old lady sitting a couple rows ahead of us if she would walk the bread and wine up with me. She agreed. So, I enjoyed myself, though I doubt Danica will want to return. I prefer to go to mass at the Newman Centre, however, as this is where I am going for RCIA and I know some people there.

When we walked out the doors of the church we were greeted by a lovely blanket of snow, and that set the tone for the day, which has been very pleasant. We were supposed to go watch Battlestar Galactica with some friends, but Danica accidentally bought it off of Itunes and we watched it. This episode was a nice break from the overload of action-packed episodes. I was afraid Battlestar Galactica was turning into 24. My weak heart can only handle so much.

The snow has stopped.

No comments: