Monday, May 14, 2007

"Music is feeling, babe."

I like to share things. Mostly this consists in food, but can often extend to music. I can't say that most people care much for the music I dig, but I share it regardless. That's what I'm doing now. These folks are favorites of mine. I'm going to start this off with someone I grew up with, as my mom was the queen of seventies folk rock. We'd often take rides together listening to this stuff in the beat up old Chevy diesel station wagon that eventually blew up. Here's Jackson Browne with 'The Pretender'



Next up is a woman whose folk music just blows me away. I got into her while scavenging through the Kansas City Public Library's music collection. She's one of the few musicians that Danica and I both can agree upon. The first clip is from 'No Direction Home', Martin Scorsese's documentary on Bob Dylan. Odetta was a big influence on him. I believe the song is entitled 'Waterboy'



Here's another short clip of Odetta playing live. I don't know the name of the song.


Here is an old-time legend from Kentucky, playing the high lonesome sound. I first heard his rendition of 'Man of Constant Sorrow' a while ago on the Florida State University student radio station. This is Roscoe Holcomb and he's playing his banjo on the porch.



And here he is playing my favorite song of his, 'Across the Rocky Mountain.' That's Pete Seeger beside him.



This last one is just a band that I've been getting into lately, mostly because they remind me of my mom's seventies folk rock. This is Lavender Diamond playing 'You Broke My Heart' live.



Fin.

No comments: