Monday, August 27, 2007

Studies

You know what gets under my skin? When people tell me just to pick one thing and go for it full steam. I refuse to pick one thing. I don't want to just study literature. I don't want to devote all my time to philosophy. I cringe at the prospect of giving in and only studying one subject. As if life is divied up into little compartments, just waiting for students pick a spot and dig in (but don't cross that line!). How can one understand much about literature without studying history? Philosophy without economics? Mathematics without philosophy? Religion without literature? Economics without sociology? And on and on. Compartmentalizing all these subjects seems disastrous to me. I want to learn about everything. I want to study in a university where one finds botany, furniture-building, Marxist theory and culinary arts in the same department.

No comments: