Friday, July 18, 2008

List #4229: Intake

Books
  • Reading Seminars I and II: Lacan's Return to Freud, edited by Richard Feldstein, Bruce Fink and Maire Jaanus
  • The Seminar of Jacques Lacan, Book I: Freud's Papers on Technique 1953 - 1954 by Jacques Lacan
  • Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin
  • Évangile selon Marc in the Traduction Œcuménique de la Bible (which seems to me to be the French equivalent of the Good News Bible, minus the pictures, plus the Apocrypha).
I think that after I've gotten this psychoanalysis kick out of my system (I've finally gotten around to actually reading Lacan instead of just reading about him) I'm going to take a look at what's been going on in theology lately, especially of the queer and feminist varieties. In anticipation of this I requested these two books from the interlibrary loan folks at my school:



Movies
  • Chungking Express, by Wong Kar-Wai
  • Talk To Her, by Almodovar
  • La Pianiste, by Michael Haneke [ Not a good date movie! ]
  • Scènes de lit, by François Ozon
I found a really kick-ass art house film website the other day where all of my downloading dreams come true. Please don't die, O my premium fantasy!

Music
  • All Is Well, by Samamidon
  • Tout seul dans la forêt en plein jour, by Woelv
  • Live at the Old Quarter, Houston, Texas, by Townes Van Zandt
  • Hazel Eyes, I Will Lead You, by Josephine Foster
My brother gave me a DVD with four gigs worth of music while we were down in Florida, but I haven't gotten the chance to take a gander at whatall's on there. Hopefully lots of country music, as that's all I seem to listen to these days, except for all the other stuff. I'm craving some Bowie right now.

Food
  • I finally found a falafel recipe that works, so I made and ate about 15 felafel balls, along with some hummus. Not all at once, of course.
  • I'm in the middle of baking a loaf of light wheat bread from Peter Reinhart's book, The Breadbaker's Apprentice. Excellent book, although the light wheat loaf is not a favorite of mine. Danica is a big fan of it, which is why I am making it. The recipe for pain à l'ancienne is supercool, là.
Beer
  • Dogfish Head's Indian brown ale.
  • Corne du diable India pale ale by Dieu du Ciel!
  • Patersbier by me.
Going to the U.S. is always a treat for me for various reasons, and one of those reasons is beer. Quebec doesn't import many beers, especially from the U.S., and the beers that do get imported from the U.S. are shitstink. So going to the U.S. affords me the opportunity to get my hands on some good microbrews. Thus, Dogfish Head's Indian brown ale, which I found at a Publix supermarket for about $8 a six-pack. I've gotten really sick of dark beers as of late, but this beer was an exception. Really fine stuff.

The Corne du diable India pale ale is brewed by a local brewpub called Dieu du Ciel! I had no idea that they bottled their beers until Danica and I were at the Atwater Market and I happened upon this beer at a fromagerie. This is my new favorite beer. Mmmm.

The Patersbier I brewed and bottled a couple weeks before we left for Florida, so it was ready when we returned. I used all pilsner malt, a bit of Hallertauer hops, and some Belgian ale yeast. It's pretty decent. A good summer beer.

I plan on doing some brewing this Sunday. I'm going to make a clone of Bell Brewery's Two-Hearted Ale, which is, like, you know, a perfect beer.

What about you? Been taking in anything good and nice?

1 comment:

1minutefilmreview said...

Nice post and great blog!