Sunday, February 15, 2009

It's FREEEEEEE!

I have always been a fan of getting stuff for free, so curbside shopping is something I have done with great relish for some time now. However, lately I have discovered that the recycling dumpsters in my apartment building often yield terrific finds, and I can see myself sliding down the slippery slope from casual curbside shopper to full on freegan dumpster diver! Here are some of the things I have saved from curbs, dumpsters, and recycling bins.

three small blue shelves from the curb at Atwater and Barat
a retro looking suitcase with wooden hangers inside from the curb at Atwater and Barat
a very large painting from just outside the dumpster at Monkland and Old Orchard
two clothes drying racks: one from Atwater and Breslay, one from Atwater and Barat
a shoe rack from the curb at Atwater and Breslay
six pairs of ripped up designer jeans from the recycling
an umbrella stand from the recycling
a nice big Bialetti saute pan with glass lid from the recycling
some tupperware from the recycling
three black Screen Stars t-shirts from near the recycling
a microwave from near the recycling
a perfectly usable pint sized mason jar from the recycling
lots of books from the recycling
a Euro Pilates workout VHS from the recycling
an awesome/freaky ceramic strawberry with a face from the recycling
four nice throw pillows from near the recycling
a big TV from a hidden trash area in the building
a pomelo from near the trash compacter behind the PA (shrink wrapped!)

Also found in the recycling but not taken: a coffee maker and an aquarium pump.

I am thinking of starting a blog to document my finds. Is that too dumb? If I do, I'll let you know the URL.

3 comments:

mindy said...

Who are these people who throw this stuff out?! Congratulations on your freebie finds. I can totally see you going all-out Freegan dumpster diving...

Mary Q Contrarie said...

I live in a college town and the absolute best time to dumpster dive is the end of the school year. You can find EVERYTHING. We even found a really nice laundry drying rack and a nice lawn furniture.

Bobby said...

Thanks for spending time with me on my whirlwind experience of Montreal. It was great to see both of you and meet your lovely daughter June. (Kara had the same throw up problem as an infant)

When I checked out this morning, the receptionist acted confused, becuase I was apparently booked in the room until Monday! Someone messed up. Originally, I was supposed to stay until monday, but the person who booked the flight picked the wrong day. Argh!

Matt, thanks for the long conversations and cigarettes. (and Danica, thanks for letting me hijack your husband) I don't do that often enough. You've given me plenty to mull over as I continue my studies. I have a great admiration and respect for you. Hang in there and graduate.

Please stay in touch and send me your email.

Later,

bobby

rnmanley3@yahoo.com